Myrna Loy's First Visit to Manhattan



From Myrna Loy's autobiography on her FIRST visit to Manhattan:"We landed in New Jersey, as you had to then, and Leland gave me the tour. He was something of a raconteur, so he enhanced my first awed entry into Manhattan. I was this girl from Montana who moved to LA as a teen and had played these elegant New York women in movies but it was the fake Hollywood backlot New York! I suddenly felt authentic...We drove through the Holland Tunnel, headed east, and came out on Park Avenue. And Park Avenue was really something in those days. It still is, but in the spring of 1935, to a wide-eyed newcomer, it just looked fantastic. In fact, the whole city struck me that way-- vast and vivid, alive! I fell in love with Manhattan then and there, and the romance has lasted more than 50 years.- Myrna Loy, movie star



NOTE: I met Myrna Loy years ago at a screening of one of her old movies. I was just a kid in my 20s and was invited by my friend Lisa DiGiovine. I told her she was my favorite actress and she said "How old are you? Most people your age don't even know who I am."
So I told her that I loved old movies and named a few of my favorite Myrna Loy films. She smiled and said "You've made an old lady very happy! For that you get a kiss."

I haven't washed my cheek since!  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Treated Like CRAP at the RACHEL RAY Show

Robert Wagner made me lose my breakfast on LIVE With Regis and Kelly

Jim Dykes, NYC Celebrity Tourguide writes about Opera Superstar MARIA CALLAS- Diva Supreme-- raised in Manhattan's Washington Heights Neighborhood!